By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- Morgan Stanley has forecasted that the BSE Sensex will touch 50,000 by December 2021. That’s quite a bold prediction to make considering that the index was trading at sub 25,000 levels in March this year. However, Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) believes that companies are getting back to normalcy and with multiple vaccine trials going off successfully, growth will surprise on the upside. Three other reasons why the Sensex will hit 50,000 are detailed below:
- Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) pulled out the money in droves in March after the market crashed but they have pumped in Rs. 44,378 crore in November, the highest in the last three months. Total inflow from FIIs for the year is at Rs. 92,300 crore.
- Out of 50 companies on the Nifty-50, 34 have beaten earnings estimates, 11 missed profit estimates, and 5 were in line with estimates, for the quarter ended September 30, 2020. This is a much better-than-expected recovery from the previous quarter that was decimated by the COVID-19 induced lockdowns.
- The government has announced several policy measures worth Rs. 2.85 lakh crore to stimulate the economy, help MSMEs (micro, small and medium enterprises), provide incentives for manufacturing, etc.
While the market has recovered to around the 44,000 mark in the first three weeks of November, the world is still not out of the COVID-19 woods yet. Morgan Stanley has cautioned that in case the pandemic continues into 2021 and the Indian government’s policies fall short, the index might fall down to 37,000.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.