By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- Two of India’s largest FMCG companies, Dabur India Ltd. (NS: DABU ) and Marico (NS: MRCO ), are fighting each other in front of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)over honey.
Dabur has filed a complaint with ASCI against Marico based on the latter’s claims about honey purity. Marico has said that its Saffola brand of honey has passed the NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) test. Dabur claims that it hasn’t.
In a statement, Dabur said, “Dabur is filing a complaint in ASCI against Marico as their Saffola Honey sample from the market has failed the NMR test. Test reports clearly indicate the presence of sugar syrup in Saffola honey. Their claim on NMR test is misleading the consumers.”
On October 1, Marico had filed a complaint against Dabur’s claim that its honey was NMR compliant. The complaint was upheld by the regulator. On December 3, it filed another complaint against Dabur’s claim that its honey had passed the German NMR test.
Last week, CSE’s (Center of Science and Environment) study said that a number of leading honey makers in India were adulterating their product with sugar syrup.
“Honey samples from leading brands such as Dabur, Patanjali, Baidyanath, Zandu, Hitkari and Apis Himalaya, all failed the NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) test,” the study said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
What our food authority dept was doing and how it passed the product to sell the product in the market. Everywhere corruption playing with life of people. Culprit should be held accountable and punished. Modi should give a look into this matter immediately. This not only honey but need to check all the food items as Big corpoeate company can go to any extent to make money.Like 10
Dabur Rather than being shameful of its malpractices is trying to Spoil Maricos name... Cheap mentalityLike 17