U.S. to Ban Russian Vodka, Caviar, Raising Trade Pressure
(Bloomberg) -- President Joe Biden announced Friday that the U.S. is banning imports of Russian alcohol and seafood, as the White House looks to ratchet up punishment over Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.
The move impacts just a fraction of U.S. imports, but it targets iconic Russian goods including vodka and caviar. Biden also called on lawmakers to strip the country of its preferred trading status during Friday remarks at the White House.
The U.S. imports around $24.1 million in beverages, spirits and vinegar annually from Russia. Most Russian-branded vodkas are produced in other nations, including Latvian-made Stoli, which was rebranded from Stolichnaya earlier this month in response to the Ukraine invasion.
But the U.S. imported $1.2 billion in Russian seafood last year. The Kremlin has accused the U.S. and its allies of waging economic war against Russia.
The seafood and alcohol announcement was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
(Updates with more information on Russian vodka beginning in third paragraph)
©2022 Bloomberg L.P.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
I invested $5000 with expert mr Henry Anderson Fx on Face📄book and I made huge profit of $25200 in just one week.Like 1
Do you wish to earn consistent income by trading crypto/Forex, here is a professional trader in crypto/Forex trading investment that can manage for individuals/corporate and generate profits on daily/weekly basis. Write 👉Trisha Donald on face📈book and via her Insta💢gram page👉trishadonald_official_fxtradeLike 1
Kuch na hoga is seLike 0
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or