(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window.)
* U.S. consumer prices jump more than expected in April
* Electronic Arts gains on upbeat revenue forecast
* Futures down: Dow 0.40%, S&P 0.69%, Nasdaq 1.29%
(Adds comment; details; updates prices)
By Medha Singh and Sruthi Shankar
May 12 (Reuters) - Wall Street's main indexes were set to open lower on Wednesday after stronger-than-expected inflation data fueled fears of tighter monetary policy to combat possibly a longer period of inflation.
The consumer price index jumped 0.8% last month after rising 0.6% in March, the Labor Department said. Excluding the volatile food and energy components, it soared 0.9%, as booming demand in a reopening economy pushed against supply constraints.
Bets in U.S. money markets in favor of a 25 basis point interest rate hike by December 2022 rose to 100% from 88% before the data was reported.
"The argument is whether this bout of inflation is transitory or here to stay. And time will tell," said Peter Tuz, president of Chase Investment Counsel in Charlottesville, Virginia.
"It's here to stay until you see labor costs and commodity costs mitigate some."
Rising commodity prices and signs of labor shortage have fueled worries over rising prices, triggering a selloff that sent the S&P 500 2% below its record closing high on Friday, even as the Fed reassured that any price pressure would be transient.
Futures tracking the small-cap Russell 2000 index RTYcv1 dropped 1.4%.
Shares of big U.S. lenders, which tend to outperform in a rising interest rate environment, gained.
Bank of America Corp (NYSE: BAC ) BAC.N , Citigroup Inc (NYSE: C ) C.N , JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) JPM.N , Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS ) GS.N , Wells Fargo (NYSE: WFC ) & Co WFC.N and Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) MS.N were up between 0.6% and 1%.
Among mega-caps, Facebook Inc FB.O , Amazon.com Inc AMZN.O , Apple AAPL.O , Netflix Inc NFLX.O , Google-parent Alphabet Inc GOOGL.O , Microsoft Corp MSFT.O and Tesla Inc TSLA.O fell between 0.4% and 0.9% in premarket trading.
Electronic Arts Inc EA.O inched up 1.7% as it forecast annual adjusted revenue above market expectation, betting that demand for its titles like "FIFA 21" and "Apex Legends" would stay strong. platform FuboTV FUBO.N surged 20.1% after it raised its full-year revenue and subscription forecasts. Inc BMBL.O slipped 1.1% ahead of its first-quarter results due after market close.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.