(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window) (Updates to market close)
By Stephen Culp
NEW YORK, Nov 18 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks lost substantial ground at the close of a see-saw session on Wednesday as investors weighed encouraging vaccine developments against surging COVID-19 infections and lockdowns.
"It's a confused market because portfolio managers don't know which time period to focus on," said Tim Ghriskey, chief investment strategist at Inverness Counsel in New York. "It's this trade-off between the near term over the six to nine months of continued spread of the virus and the period after that when everyone's vaccinated and the virus is eradicated."
"There's a lot of issues out there but the decided bias has been toward value and cyclicals," Ghriskey added.
Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) PFE.N and its German partner BioNTech BNTX.O revealed a 95% success rate at the conclusion of their COVID-19 vaccine trial, just days after Moderna Inc MRNA.O announced a similar rate of success in preliminary data from its vaccine candidate. participants have been greeting vaccine developments with guarded optimism as global new infections soar to record levels, raising the possibility of increased restrictions as the economy struggles to recover from recession. The United States remains the country worst affected by the pandemic. the Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI fell 345.91 points, or 1.16%, to 29,437.44, the S&P 500 .SPX lost 41.81 points, or 1.16%, to 3,567.72 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC dropped 97.74 points, or 0.82%, to 11,801.60.
Third-quarter reporting season has reached the final inning, with 468 of the companies in the S&P 500 having reported. Of those, 84.4% have surprised consensus to the upside, according to Refinitiv.
Boeing (NYSE: BA ) Co BA.N initially provided the biggest lift to the Dow after the Federal Aviation Commission green-lighted the planemaker's grounded 737 MAX aircraft to resume flights, but its shares later reversed course. of Target Corp (NYSE: TGT ) TGT.N advanced after handily beating quarterly profit and sales estimates, which were boosted by a 155% jump in comparable digital sales. Companies Inc LOW.N dropped after the home improvement retailer forecast lower-than-expected holiday quarter earnings as it beefs up its online business and doles out employee bonuses to ease pandemic-related hardship.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.