* All indexes rise; tech rebounds
* Square shares gain after results
* U.S. job growth far below expectations in April
(Updates to close)
By Krystal Hu
NEW YORK, May 7 (Reuters) - The S&P 500 and the Dow hit record highs on Friday, while megacap growth stocks drove a recovery on Nasdaq after U.S. jobs data eased concerns over prospects for rising rates.
U.S. job growth unexpectedly slowed in April, likely restrained by shortages of workers, the Labor Department report on Friday showed. report alleviated some concerns about rising inflation and potentially higher U.S. interest rates, which some investors worry would hurt growth companies with high valuations.
"Growth names that were taken to the woodshed are getting another chance, because they will be perceived to be less risky in an environment where there is a slower recovery, and that's really what the jobs data is indicating", said Tom Martin, senior portfolio manager at Globalt Investments.
Heavily-weighted growth stocks such as Microsoft Corp MSFT.O , Apple Inc AAPL.O and Alphabet GOOGL.O all rose, but all major S&P 500 sectors also ended in green, with energy SPNY and real estate SPLRCR leading the advance. Energy and materials SPLRCM hit fresh highs earlier.
Unofficially, the Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI rose 227.91 points, or 0.66%, to 34,776.44, the S&P 500 .SPX gained 30.81 points, or 0.73%, to 4,232.43 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC added 119.40 points, or 0.88%, to 13,752.24.
"The anticipation and confirmation of (Federal Reserve) policy staying the same and continued economic recovery with vaccines rollout have fueled these all-time highs, but we do believe the volatility is going to be tightened in the short term," said Greg Bassuk, chief executive at Axs Investments.
A raft of upbeat earnings also helped stocks, and S&P 500 earnings are now estimated to have increased 50.4% in the first quarter from a year ago, which would be the highest growth rate since the first quarter of 2010, according to Refinitiv data.
Payments firm Square Inc (NYSE: SQ ) SQ.N rose after reporting a better-than-expected quarterly profit, as surging demand for bitcoin fueled a jump in cryptocurrency transactions on its application. device maker Roku Inc ROKU.O jumped following an upbeat revenue outlook, while fitness equipment maker Peloton Interactive Inc PTON.O gained as it laid out steps to improve the safety of its equipment. Group Inc EXPE.O shares rose as analysts raised price targets following the company's upbeat results.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.