(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window.)
* Democrats move closer to Senate control
* Tech behemoths slide on fears of tighter regulation
* Industrial bellwethers Caterpillar , 3M (NYSE: MMM ) rise
* Futures: Dow up 0.2%, S&P off 0.3%, Nasdaq down 1.9%
* Russell 2000 futures jump 2.5% (Adds comment, details; updates prices)
By Sagarika Jaisinghani and Medha Singh
Jan 6 (Reuters) - Futures tied to the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 index sank 2% on Wednesday as the possibility of Democrats gaining control of the Senate sparked fears of tighter regulations on technology mega-caps.
Democratic challenger Raphael Warnock won a hotly contested Senate race in Georgia over Republican incumbent Kelly Loeffler, while Democrat Jon Ossoff held a narrow lead over incumbent Republican David Perdue in the other race. so-called "blue wave" would give more scope for President-elect Joe Biden to act on his reform plans including new COVID-19 stimulus, but it could also mean higher corporate taxes and more regulations for technology behemoths, which had led Wall Street's recovery from a coronavirus-driven crash last year. Democrats hold both Houses then there will be more pressure to regulate some of the bigger play within growth and most of the (market) gains are concentrated in them," said Sebastien Galy, macro strategist at Nordea Asset Management.
Tesla Inc TSLA.O was the only major technology stock trading higher.
At 06:50 a.m. ET, Nasdaq 100 E-minis NQcv1 were down 253 points, or 1.98%, and S&P 500 E-minis EScv1 were down 13.75 points, or 0.37%.
However, Dow e-minis 1YMcv1 climbed 0.2% as bets on a larger fiscal stimulus and infrastructure spending propped up shares of industrial bellwethers Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) CAT.N and 3M Co MMM.N . Futures tracking the small-cap Russell 2000 index RTYcv1 jumped 2.5% to a record high.
Hopes of a vaccine-powered economic recovery in 2021 had sent Wall Street's main indexes to record highs in late-December, with sectors that had previously lagged, including banks, industrials and energy, fuelling the rally.
"You are seeing more evidence of a rebound in value over growth, and it feeds into the debate as to whether investors should pile into more cyclicals which are co-related with value or stick to bigger players within the growth space given that valuations in some cases are quite extreme," Galy added.
"Market is quite nervous about its position in large tech."
Shares of JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) JPM.N , Citigroup Inc (NYSE: C ) C.N and Bank of America Corp (NYSE: BAC ) BAC.N rose between 1.3% and 2.4%, tracking a sharp rise in the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury yield . US/
Invesco Solar ETF TAN.P gained about 5% on expectations that clean energy companies will benefit under a Democrat-control Congress, while bets on the decriminalization of marijuana at the federal level lifted ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF MJ.P up 8.4%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.