(Corrects to add punctuation in paragraph 1)
* Futures up: Dow 0.1%, S&P 0.3%, Nasdaq 0.4%
By Medha Singh
Oct 27 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures edged higher on Tuesday following the benchmark S&P 500's worst day in a month as investors parsed through a deluge of corporate earnings, while bracing for volatility ahead of Election Day.
Drugmaker Eli Lilly (NYSE: LLY ) and Co LLY.N fell 4% after it reported a fall in quarterly profit. Industrial companies 3M (NYSE: MMM ) Co MMM.N and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) CAT.N were flat to slightly lower after results. are looking forward to results from Apple Inc AAPL.O , Amazon.com AMZN.O , Google-parent Alphabet GOOGL.O and Facebook Inc FB.O in an earnings-heavy week as the technology giants have managed to stand out during the coronavirus pandemic.
The S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit three week lows on Monday as record number of new coronavirus infections in the United States and some European countries and a lack of agreement in Washington over the next U.S. fiscal stimulus raised worries about the economic recovery.
Wall Street's fear gauge .VIX perked up on Tuesday after closing at its highest level in nearly two months on concerns about President Donald Trump's unexpected victory or an uncertain election outcome. challenger Joe Biden leads in national polls but the race is much tighter in battleground states which determine the election outcome.
At 06:19 a.m. ET, Dow E-minis 1YMcv1 were up 0.13% at 27619 points and S&P 500 E-minis EScv1 rose 0.27% to 3,402.5 points. Nasdaq 100 E-minis NQcv1 were up 0.42% to 11,540 points.
Insurer American International Group Inc (NYSE: AIG ) AIG.N jumped 7.1% premarket after its board approved a plan to separate the life and retirement business from the rest of the company, and named President Peter Zaffino as chief executive officer, effective next year. designer Advanced Micro Devices Inc AMD.O fell about 3% as it agreed to buy Xilinx Inc XLNX.O in a $35 billion all-stock deal that will intensify its battle with Intel Corp INTC.O in the data center chip market. Xilinx shares soared about 12%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.