Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Utilities and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Consumer Services and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 6.84% or 2.72 points to trade at 42.51 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 4.72% or 8.46 points to end at 187.82 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 3.72% or 2.95 points to 82.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 4.82% or 12.49 points to trade at 246.79 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 3.50% or 7.65 points to end at 210.74 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 1.18% or 1.52 points to 127.43.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which rose 10.45% to 26.85, DR Horton Inc (NYSE: DHI ) which was up 9.45% to settle at 71.09 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which gained 8.91% to close at 17.60.
The worst performers were Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was down 12.26% to 16.89 in late trade, Xilinx Inc (NASDAQ: XLNX ) which lost 6.41% to settle at 122.00 and Synopsys Inc (NASDAQ: SNPS ) which was down 6.10% to 219.52 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Greenland Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: GTEC ) which rose 96.62% to 4.60, Summit Wireless Technologies (NASDAQ: WISA ) which was up 58.73% to settle at 3.3810 and Vaccinex Inc (NASDAQ: VCNX ) which gained 49.45% to close at 2.72.
The worst performers were Kandi Technologies Group Inc (NASDAQ: KNDI ) which was down 23.78% to 5.93 in late trade, OrganiGram Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: OGI ) which lost 23.12% to settle at 1.23 and Praxis Precision Medicines Inc (NASDAQ: PRAX ) which was down 22.48% to 27.73 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1986 to 929 and 82 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1776 rose and 1020 declined, while 60 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.49% to 25.11.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 1.05% or 19.45 to $1873.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 2.78% or 1.12 to hit $41.41 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 2.97% or 1.26 to trade at $43.66 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.1808, while USD/JPY fell 0.03% to 105.33.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 92.780.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.