Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Telecoms sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Healthcare , Utilities and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 2.63% or 10.61 points to trade at 414.52 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 2.14% or 1.15 points to end at 54.99 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.99% or 4.18 points to 214.48 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 2.49% or 4.07 points to trade at 159.52 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 1.20% or 3.09 points to end at 254.11 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.70% or 1.17 points to 165.80.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which rose 7.81% to 20.15, Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was up 7.19% to settle at 12.08 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which gained 6.69% to close at 26.65.
The worst performers were Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which was down 4.99% to 229.13 in late trade, Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which lost 4.37% to settle at 296.92 and Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 4.15% to 21.92 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were aTyr Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: LIFE ) which rose 66.97% to 9.150, Aterian Inc (NASDAQ: ATER ) which was up 52.46% to settle at 17.99 and Itamar Medical Ltd (NASDAQ: ITMR ) which gained 46.44% to close at 30.23.
The worst performers were MiMedx Group Inc (NASDAQ: MDXG ) which was down 59.56% to 6.28 in late trade, Farmmi Inc (NASDAQ: FAMI ) which lost 52.19% to settle at 0.2749 and Valneva SE ADR (NASDAQ: VALN ) which was down 39.85% to 28.15 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2030 to 1200 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1796 fell and 1732 advanced, while 158 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.54% to 19.37.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.14% or 2.55 to $1794.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 1.35% or 0.94 to hit $70.66 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.00% or 0.73 to trade at $73.65 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.1810, while USD/JPY rose 0.07% to 110.01.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 92.612.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.