U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.71%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Healthcare , Financials and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Consumer Services , Technology and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.71%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.06%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 1.22%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which rose 7.10% or 9.17 points to trade at 138.32 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 2.66% or 4.24 points to end at 163.65 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 2.38% or 7.34 points to 315.14 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 5.56% or 7.33 points to trade at 124.57 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 2.70% or 5.16 points to end at 186.23 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 1.31% or 2.43 points to 183.55.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were M&T Bank Corp (NYSE: MTB ) which rose 8.83% to 176.34, International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) which was up 7.10% to settle at 138.32 and HCA Holdings Inc (NYSE: HCA ) which gained 5.04% to close at 275.16.
The worst performers were Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which was down 35.12% to 226.19 in late trade, Match Group Inc (NASDAQ: MTCH ) which lost 9.89% to settle at 84.62 and Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which was down 8.73% to 178.53 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Clarus Therapeutics Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: CRXT ) which rose 43.45% to 2.08, GWG Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: GWGH ) which was up 38.50% to settle at 2.77 and Borqs Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: BRQS ) which gained 31.11% to close at 0.31.
The worst performers were Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which was down 35.12% to 226.19 in late trade, Aterian Inc (NASDAQ: ATER ) which lost 20.51% to settle at 4.65 and Mullen Automotive Inc (NASDAQ: MULN ) which was down 16.57% to 1.41 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2070 to 1137 and 126 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1941 fell and 1910 advanced, while 215 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.91% to 20.32.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.06% or 1.10 to $1,957.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.66% or 0.67 to hit $102.72 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.21% or 0.23 to trade at $107.48 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.60% to 1.09, while USD/JPY fell 0.87% to 127.78.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.61% at 100.35.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or