Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Utilities and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Consumer Services and Healthcare sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 1.92% or 3.53 points to trade at 187.75 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.81% or 3.01 points to end at 169.31 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 1.62% or 2.10 points to 131.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 1.62% or 5.10 points to trade at 310.68 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 1.38% or 2.95 points to end at 211.03 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 0.14% or 0.42 points to 303.68.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coterra Energy Inc (NYSE: CTRA ) which rose 6.96% to 28.91, Lumen Technologies Inc (NYSE: LUMN ) which was up 4.68% to settle at 11.40 and Kinder Morgan Inc (NYSE: KMI ) which gained 4.21% to close at 19.07.
The worst performers were Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which was down 7.66% to 165.92 in late trade, EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which lost 7.39% to settle at 266.75 and Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which was down 6.13% to 132.32 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Clever Leaves Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: CLVR ) which rose 143.04% to 3.84, Nextdecade Corp (NASDAQ: NEXT ) which was up 32.22% to settle at 6.36 and Clarus Therapeutics Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: CRXT ) which gained 25.95% to close at 1.65.
The worst performers were MEI Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: MEIP ) which was down 65.15% to 0.63 in late trade, Icosavax Inc (NASDAQ: ICVX ) which lost 64.55% to settle at 4.41 and Honest Company Inc (NASDAQ: HNST ) which was down 22.52% to 4.68 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1677 to 1502 and 109 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2273 fell and 1580 advanced, while 153 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.97% to 20.81 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.41% or 8.10 to $1,954.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.42% or 0.47 to hit $112.81 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.37% or 0.44 to trade at $119.47 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.11% to 1.10, while USD/JPY fell 0.10% to 122.21.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 98.86.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.