U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.31%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Utilities and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Healthcare , Technology and Oil & Gas sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.31%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.07%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 0.27%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 3.70% or 6.89 points to trade at 193.25 at the close. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 1.99% or 0.79 points to end at 40.42 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.94% or 4.91 points to 257.61 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 6.21% or 7.62 points to trade at 115.00 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 2.10% or 0.77 points to end at 35.90 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 1.24% or 1.36 points to 108.52.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were PACCAR Inc (NASDAQ: PCAR ) which rose 8.64% to 111.08, The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) which was up 3.70% to settle at 193.25 and Raytheon Technologies Corp (NYSE: RTX ) which gained 3.35% to close at 99.47.
The worst performers were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) which was down 6.21% to 115.00 in late trade, Catalent Inc (NYSE: CTLT ) which lost 5.74% to settle at 49.57 and Brown & Brown Inc (NYSE: BRO ) which was down 5.28% to 58.69 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Esports Entertainment Group Inc (NASDAQ: GMBL ) which rose 88.10% to 0.16, bioAffinity Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: BIAF ) which was up 74.38% to settle at 2.79 and Grom Social Enterprises Inc (NASDAQ: GROM ) which gained 44.14% to close at 3.20.
The worst performers were VERB TECHNOLOGY COMPANY INC (NASDAQ: VERB ) which was down 47.63% to 0.20 in late trade, LogicMark Inc (NASDAQ: LGMK ) which lost 37.02% to settle at 0.23 and Scilex Holding Co (NASDAQ: SCLX ) which was down 31.30% to 6.54 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1591 to 1472 and 131 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2021 fell and 1657 advanced, while 218 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.08% to 19.20.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.51% or 9.75 to $1,938.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.84% or 1.50 to hit $80.12 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 2.27% or 2.00 to trade at $86.19 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.15% to 1.09, while USD/JPY fell 0.39% to 130.15.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.21% at 101.70.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or