Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Utilities , Basic Materials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Healthcare and Oil & Gas sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 1.57% or 2.40 points to trade at 155.20 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.46% or 2.96 points to end at 206.13 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 1.44% or 2.02 points to 142.78 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 1.10% or 2.85 points to trade at 255.45 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 0.69% or 1.16 points to end at 166.42 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 0.58% or 1.04 points to 179.29.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Campbell Soup Company (NYSE: CPB ) which rose 2.80% to 43.36, Ball Corporation (NYSE: BLL ) which was up 2.59% to settle at 94.30 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which gained 2.04% to close at 18.54.
The worst performers were DexCom Inc (NASDAQ: DXCM ) which was down 7.09% to 529.50 in late trade, Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which lost 3.46% to settle at 221.73 and Penn National Gaming Inc (NASDAQ: PENN ) which was down 2.89% to 49.34 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Insignia Systems Inc (NASDAQ: ISIG ) which rose 64.82% to 19.020, ShiftPixy Inc (NASDAQ: PIXY ) which was up 43.09% to settle at 1.120 and Pop Culture Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: CPOP ) which gained 35.88% to close at 2.31.
The worst performers were Biofrontera Inc (NASDAQ: BFRI ) which was down 29.50% to 8.10 in late trade, Powerbridge Technologies Co Ltd (NASDAQ: PBTS ) which lost 25.45% to settle at 0.6933 and Sensus Healthcare Inc (NASDAQ: SRTS ) which was down 22.67% to 6.310 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1725 to 1531 and 136 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2494 fell and 1330 advanced, while 182 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.79% to 17.54 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.12% or 2.20 to $1806.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.60% or 0.45 to hit $76.02 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.08% or 0.06 to trade at $78.84 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1314, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 114.81.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 96.165.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.