Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Utilities , Healthcare and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Technology and Oil & Gas sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 3.18% or 6.95 points to trade at 225.36 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 2.41% or 1.77 points to end at 75.09 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 1.29% or 0.62 points to 48.71 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 1.34% or 2.68 points to trade at 197.87 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.18% or 4.61 points to end at 384.89 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.08% or 0.64 points to 58.82.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Dollar Tree Inc (NASDAQ: DLTR ) which rose 16.49% to 100.51, Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY ) which was up 3.95% to settle at 230.36 and Tyson Foods Inc (NYSE: TSN ) which gained 3.46% to close at 80.49.
The worst performers were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which was down 4.44% to 27.31 in late trade, Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which lost 3.81% to settle at 60.07 and Applied Materials Inc (NASDAQ: AMAT ) which was down 3.48% to 128.27 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Grom Social Enterprises Inc (NASDAQ: GROM ) which rose 91.71% to 3.355, Paltalk Inc (NASDAQ: PALT ) which was up 60.11% to settle at 8.3900 and Farmmi Inc (NASDAQ: FAMI ) which gained 41.25% to close at 0.3400.
The worst performers were Helbiz Inc (NASDAQ: HLBZ ) which was down 32.22% to 14.01 in late trade, Elite Education Group International Ltd (NASDAQ: EEIQ ) which lost 26.32% to settle at 6.440 and Jasper Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: JSPR ) which was down 23.66% to 9.290 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1788 to 1383 and 102 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2077 fell and 1447 advanced, while 155 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.97% to 22.56.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.69% or 12.05 to $1725.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 0.90% or 0.68 to hit $74.61 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.69% or 0.54 to trade at $77.81 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.74% to 1.1594, while USD/JPY rose 0.45% to 112.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.67% at 94.407.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.