Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Oil & Gas and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Telecoms and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 5.39% or 10.78 points to trade at 210.70 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 4.83% or 2.78 points to end at 60.34 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 3.92% or 8.18 points to 216.66 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which lost 2.15% or 4.51 points to trade at 204.84 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 1.87% or 2.71 points to end at 142.38 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 1.74% or 2.25 points to 127.28.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Deere & Company (NYSE: DE ) which rose 10.81% to 332.72, Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which was up 9.56% to settle at 154.99 and Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which gained 10.03% to close at 37.56.
The worst performers were Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which was down 7.71% to 75.98 in late trade, Zoetis Inc (NYSE: ZTS ) which lost 4.05% to settle at 161.14 and Kraft Heinz Co (NASDAQ: KHC ) which was down 3.52% to 37.59 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Energous Co (NASDAQ: WATT ) which rose 98.92% to 7.400, Vaccinex Inc (NASDAQ: VCNX ) which was up 73.52% to settle at 4.98 and Evolus Inc (NASDAQ: EOLS ) which gained 67.60% to close at 12.00.
The worst performers were Cleveland BioLabs Inc (NASDAQ: CBLI ) which was down 26.70% to 7.0000 in late trade, China SXT Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SXTC ) which lost 22.55% to settle at 0.7900 and US Well Services Inc (NASDAQ: USWS ) which was down 17.41% to 2.230 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2014 to 1055 and 83 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2187 rose and 999 declined, while 61 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.56% to 21.69.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.32% or 5.60 to $1780.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 2.73% or 1.65 to hit $58.87 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 2.10% or 1.34 to trade at $62.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.25% to 1.2118, while USD/JPY fell 0.19% to 105.45.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.28% at 90.343.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.