Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Healthcare , Technology and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 4.68% or 5.26 points to trade at 117.69 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 2.44% or 3.80 points to end at 159.62 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 2.30% or 3.80 points to 168.81 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which lost 2.07% or 3.53 points to trade at 167.14 in late trade. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) declined 1.48% or 3.74 points to end at 248.35 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) shed 1.00% or 1.88 points to 186.73.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which rose 7.34% to 64.46, Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was up 7.03% to settle at 23.91 and Schlumberger NV (NYSE: SLB ) which gained 5.64% to close at 36.89.
The worst performers were Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which was down 3.41% to 292.90 in late trade, Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) which lost 3.32% to settle at 48.29 and ServiceNow Inc (NYSE: NOW ) which was down 3.24% to 499.47 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were TOP Financial Group Ltd (NASDAQ: TOP ) which rose 52.41% to 19.25, FlexShopper Inc (NASDAQ: FPAY ) which was up 47.32% to settle at 1.65 and Nymox Pharmaceutical Corp (NASDAQ: NYMX ) which gained 36.44% to close at 0.61.
The worst performers were Athenex Inc (NASDAQ: ATNX ) which was down 51.54% to 0.54 in late trade, FaZe Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: FAZE ) which lost 29.43% to settle at 12.85 and Rani Therapeutics Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: RANI ) which was down 25.89% to 8.23 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1909 to 1218 and 136 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2114 rose and 1647 declined, while 243 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.33% to 20.20.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.56% or 10.20 to $1,803.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 2.50% or 2.30 to hit $94.23 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 2.25% or 2.19 to trade at $99.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.26% to 1.03, while USD/JPY rose 0.12% to 133.04.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 105.00.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.