Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Technology and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Oil & Gas and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 5.32% or 2.51 points to trade at 49.67 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 2.09% or 6.65 points to end at 324.34 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 1.93% or 4.05 points to 214.44 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 2.16% or 3.58 points to trade at 162.00 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 1.93% or 1.17 points to end at 59.53 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 1.67% or 2.31 points to 136.06.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which rose 12.94% to 23.22, General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which was up 10.32% to settle at 12.94 and Progressive Corp (NYSE: PGR ) which gained 5.70% to close at 80.81.
The worst performers were Xilinx Inc (NASDAQ: XLNX ) which was down 10.70% to 88.06 in late trade, Hess Corporation (NYSE: HES ) which lost 6.92% to settle at 57.82 and Keysight Technologies Inc (NYSE: KEYS ) which was down 6.34% to 95.66 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ReTo Eco-Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: RETO ) which rose 24.32% to 1.150, Genprex Inc (NASDAQ: GNPX ) which was up 23.44% to settle at 1.5800 and 89bio Inc (NASDAQ: ETNB ) which gained 23.12% to close at 33.66.
The worst performers were Cocrystal Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: COCP ) which was down 30.77% to 0.5400 in late trade, Avinger Inc (NASDAQ: AVGR ) which lost 26.98% to settle at 0.633 and Spring Bank Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SBPH ) which was down 21.76% to 1.330 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1462 to 1338 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1708 fell and 937 advanced, while 70 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.68% to 16.39.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.43% or 6.80 to $1576.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.73% or 0.39 to hit $53.09 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.14% or 0.08 to trade at $58.74 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1010, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 109.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 97.875.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.