Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Healthcare , Telecoms and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Consumer Goods , Industrials and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 2.92% or 1.22 points to trade at 42.94 at the close. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) added 2.60% or 4.05 points to end at 159.65 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 2.14% or 4.91 points to 233.91 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 5.07% or 6.44 points to trade at 120.70 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 4.32% or 8.94 points to end at 197.82 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 2.13% or 3.13 points to 143.83.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were VF Corporation (NYSE: VFC ) which rose 6.07% to 47.32, American Tower Corp (NYSE: AMT ) which was up 4.73% to settle at 244.28 and Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY ) which gained 4.39% to close at 298.85.
The worst performers were Ross Stores Inc (NASDAQ: ROST ) which was down 22.47% to 71.87 in late trade, Deere & Company (NYSE: DE ) which lost 14.07% to settle at 313.31 and Advance Auto Parts Inc (NYSE: AAP ) which was down 7.23% to 181.89 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were GeoVax Labs Inc (NASDAQ: GOVX ) which rose 90.18% to 1.39, SIGA Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SIGA ) which was up 43.35% to settle at 12.40 and Redbox Entertainment Inc (NASDAQ: RDBX ) which gained 40.00% to close at 5.32.
The worst performers were Athersys Inc (NASDAQ: ATHX ) which was down 65.54% to 0.26 in late trade, Evofem Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: EVFM ) which lost 63.17% to settle at 0.41 and Lixiang Education Holding Co Ltd (NASDAQ: LXEH ) which was down 51.81% to 2.00 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1679 to 1478 and 150 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2068 fell and 1648 advanced, while 267 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.27% to 29.43.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.13% or 2.43 to $1,843.63 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.68% or 0.75 to hit $110.64 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.86% or 0.96 to trade at $113.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.28% to 1.06, while USD/JPY rose 0.09% to 127.92.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.32% at 103.08.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.