Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Financials , Healthcare and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which rose 2.91% or 4.89 points to trade at 172.79 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) added 1.99% or 3.45 points to end at 177.18 and Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) was up 1.84% or 1.06 points to 58.54 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 4.13% or 5.06 points to trade at 117.57 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 3.12% or 1.43 points to end at 44.40 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 2.66% or 4.11 points to 150.62.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nielsen Holdings PLC (NYSE: NLSN ) which rose 30.50% to 22.85, Paramount Global Class B (NASDAQ: PARA ) which was up 10.47% to settle at 35.77 and EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which gained 9.92% to close at 220.00.
The worst performers were Las Vegas Sands Corp (NYSE: LVS ) which was down 11.89% to 32.09 in late trade, Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which lost 10.15% to settle at 52.69 and Coterra Energy Inc (NYSE: CTRA ) which was down 9.75% to 23.13 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Incannex Healthcare Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: IXHL ) which rose 61.72% to 22.90, Red Cat Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: RCAT ) which was up 48.37% to settle at 2.73 and Q And K International Group Ltd (NASDAQ: QK ) which gained 37.56% to close at 1.69.
The worst performers were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was down 60.87% to 4.16 in late trade, Kingsoft Cloud Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: KC ) which lost 47.86% to settle at 2.56 and Electric Last Mile Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: ELMS ) which was down 47.71% to 0.99 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2391 to 867 and 99 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2820 fell and 1001 advanced, while 198 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.32% to 31.77.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.10% or 1.95 to $1,955.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.43% or 0.44 to hit $102.44 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.01% or 0.01 to trade at $105.96 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.06% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.09% to 118.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 99.11.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.