Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Basic Materials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 2.65% or 5.47 points to trade at 211.92 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.97% or 2.67 points to end at 138.55 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 1.09% or 2.02 points to 187.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which lost 1.63% or 4.99 points to trade at 300.95 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 1.25% or 0.98 points to end at 77.58 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.14% or 0.69 points to 59.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Tyson Foods Inc (NYSE: TSN ) which rose 12.23% to 99.09, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was up 8.44% to settle at 81.96 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which gained 8.40% to close at 21.95.
The worst performers were Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc (NYSE: ZBH ) which was down 9.09% to 111.67 in late trade, Meta Platforms Inc (NASDAQ: FB ) which lost 5.14% to settle at 224.91 and Avery Dennison Corp (NYSE: AVY ) which was down 4.14% to 181.47 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Kaival Brands Innovations Group Inc (NASDAQ: KAVL ) which rose 51.40% to 1.620, Origin Agritech Ltd (NASDAQ: SEED ) which was up 34.81% to settle at 6.390 and Luokung Technology Corp (NASDAQ: LKCO ) which gained 24.31% to close at 0.630.
The worst performers were Dermata Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: DRMA ) which was down 34.68% to 1.45 in late trade, Cerence Inc (NASDAQ: CRNC ) which lost 31.41% to settle at 43.61 and Nisun International Enterprise Development Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: NISN ) which was down 24.83% to 1.09 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1797 to 1444 and 155 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2321 rose and 1529 declined, while 216 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.55% to 22.86.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.74% or 13.40 to $1821.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.75% or 0.69 to hit $91.62 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.02% or 0.02 to trade at $92.97 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1444, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 115.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.08% at 95.403.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.