Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Technology and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Industrials , Utilities and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 1.85% or 3.34 points to trade at 184.34 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 1.55% or 2.39 points to end at 156.69 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) was up 0.52% or 1.16 points to 226.27 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 4.53% or 8.81 points to trade at 185.58 in late trade. Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) declined 2.38% or 5.43 points to end at 222.93 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) shed 2.22% or 5.03 points to 221.34.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which rose 5.61% to 105.93, Expedia Inc (NASDAQ: EXPE ) which was up 3.40% to settle at 147.49 and Arconic Corp (NYSE: ARNC ) which gained 3.27% to close at 35.40.
The worst performers were Foot Locker Inc (NYSE: FL ) which was down 6.47% to 53.48 in late trade, VF Corporation (NYSE: VFC ) which lost 5.73% to settle at 71.86 and MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 5.03% to 451.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Locust Walk Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: EFTR ) which rose 47.55% to 12.630, Arqit Quantum Inc (NASDAQ: ARQQ ) which was up 37.72% to settle at 11.500 and Surrozen Inc (NASDAQ: SRZN ) which gained 36.60% to close at 9.89.
The worst performers were CorMedix Inc (NASDAQ: CRMD ) which was down 22.52% to 5.005 in late trade, Celularity Inc (NASDAQ: CELU ) which lost 22.18% to settle at 6.77 and Sharecare Inc (NASDAQ: SHCR ) which was down 21.86% to 7.150 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2244 to 1002 and 106 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2174 fell and 1354 advanced, while 134 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 10.54% to 18.14.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 2.07% or 37.90 to $1795.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 1.30% or 0.90 to hit $68.39 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.83% or 0.60 to trade at $71.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.23% to 1.1840, while USD/JPY rose 0.42% to 110.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.56% at 92.552.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.