Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Oil & Gas and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Consumer Services and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 1.85% or 1.09 points to trade at 59.85 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 1.76% or 0.86 points to end at 49.83 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was up 1.14% or 3.43 points to 303.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 6.96% or 12.15 points to trade at 162.30 in late trade. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) declined 2.31% or 4.99 points to end at 210.57 and Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) shed 1.97% or 4.45 points to 220.96.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which rose 9.34% to 41.02, Tapestry Inc (NYSE: TPR ) which was up 8.92% to settle at 46.41 and Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which gained 7.44% to close at 106.39.
The worst performers were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) which was down 6.96% to 162.30 in late trade, Cooper Companies Inc (NYSE: COO ) which lost 4.97% to settle at 412.54 and Edwards Lifesciences Corp (NYSE: EW ) which was down 3.54% to 114.57 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Nuzee Inc (NASDAQ: NUZE ) which rose 151.74% to 5.060, Root Inc (NASDAQ: ROOT ) which was up 32.98% to settle at 6.21 and Summer Infant Inc (NASDAQ: SUMR ) which gained 28.05% to close at 10.50.
The worst performers were Nisun International Enterprise Development Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: NISN ) which was down 40.93% to 9.54 in late trade, Titan Medical Inc (NASDAQ: TMDI ) which lost 25.15% to settle at 1.2200 and Huadi International Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: HUDI ) which was down 24.57% to 21.120 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1895 to 1333 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2106 rose and 1549 declined, while 158 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.98% to 17.61.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.87% or 16.05 to $1864.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.15% or 0.12 to hit $81.22 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 0.07% or 0.06 to trade at $82.58 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.25% to 1.1449, while USD/JPY rose 0.14% to 114.06.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.33% at 95.153.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.