Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Telecoms , Utilities and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 2.15% or 5.99 points to trade at 285.04 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 1.68% or 2.30 points to end at 139.17 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was up 1.81% or 4.02 points to 226.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 9.89% or 13.02 points to trade at 118.63 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 8.82% or 5.51 points to end at 56.95 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 1.80% or 2.68 points to 146.04.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which rose 10.36% to 14.70, SVB Financial Group (NASDAQ: SIVB ) which was up 4.59% to settle at 476.48 and Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which gained 4.42% to close at 98.05.
The worst performers were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) which was down 9.89% to 118.63 in late trade, Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) which lost 8.82% to settle at 56.95 and Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was down 8.56% to 6.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Molecular Data Inc (NASDAQ: MKD ) which rose 61.02% to 1.43, AzurRx BioPharma Inc (NASDAQ: AZRX ) which was up 59.27% to settle at 1.975 and Adamis Pharma (NASDAQ: ADMP ) which gained 43.31% to close at 1.8200.
The worst performers were Qutoutiao Inc (NASDAQ: QTT ) which was down 23.50% to 3.32 in late trade, Celsion Corp (NASDAQ: CLSN ) which lost 21.26% to settle at 1.370 and Broadwind Energy Inc (NASDAQ: BWEN ) which was down 14.97% to 8.920 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1642 to 1442 and 86 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1697 rose and 1348 declined, while 77 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.61% to 21.45.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.56% or 10.50 to $1855.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.90% or 1.01 to hit $52.12 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 1.50% or 0.84 to trade at $55.26 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.06% to 1.2169, while USD/JPY rose 0.33% to 103.83.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.09% at 90.207.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.