Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Healthcare , Technology and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Industrials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 1.22% or 3.05 points to trade at 253.84 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.06% or 2.65 points to end at 252.57 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 0.58% or 0.95 points to 165.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 1.78% or 1.32 points to trade at 72.79 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 1.76% or 4.30 points to end at 239.72 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.59% or 1.12 points to 69.25.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which rose 38.33% to 395.82, Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY ) which was up 10.15% to settle at 222.53 and Cardinal Health Inc (NYSE: CAH ) which gained 4.15% to close at 58.91.
The worst performers were United Rentals Inc (NYSE: URI ) which was down 4.87% to 315.91 in late trade, Progressive Corp (NYSE: PGR ) which lost 3.96% to settle at 96.39 and Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was down 3.39% to 16.55 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were EXFO Inc (NASDAQ: EXFO ) which rose 60.27% to 5.93, Nextdecade Corp (NASDAQ: NEXT ) which was up 42.62% to settle at 3.48 and Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which gained 38.33% to close at 395.82.
The worst performers were PDS Biotechnology Corp (NASDAQ: PDSB ) which was down 26.53% to 9.390 in late trade, Hookipa Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: HOOK ) which lost 24.32% to settle at 12.76 and MoSys Inc (NASDAQ: MOSY ) which was down 22.28% to 7.080 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1792 to 1398 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2215 rose and 1163 declined, while 108 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was unchanged 0.00% to 16.42 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.52% or 9.85 to $1901.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.57% or 0.40 to hit $69.22 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.61% or 0.44 to trade at $71.45 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.21% to 1.2191, while USD/JPY fell 0.20% to 109.27.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.18% at 89.972.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.