Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Healthcare and Telecoms sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Technology and Basic Materials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 2.38% or 6.73 points to trade at 289.69 at the close. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) added 2.17% or 3.18 points to end at 149.59 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 1.84% or 1.64 points to 90.83 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.83% or 6.25 points to trade at 123.14 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 3.84% or 6.12 points to end at 153.27 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 2.69% or 3.94 points to 142.56.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Tapestry Inc (NYSE: TPR ) which rose 15.50% to 30.63, DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was up 14.60% to settle at 20.01 and Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which gained 12.92% to close at 87.86.
The worst performers were Synchrony Financial (NYSE: SYF ) which was down 6.51% to 33.03 in late trade, AmerisourceBergen (NYSE: ABC ) which lost 6.01% to settle at 151.61 and WestRock Co (NYSE: WRK ) which was down 5.57% to 47.46 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Allena Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALNA ) which rose 70.51% to 0.13, Lordstown Motors Corp (NASDAQ: RIDE ) which was up 47.02% to settle at 2.22 and Salarius Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SLRX ) which gained 38.75% to close at 0.22.
The worst performers were Tenon Medical Inc (NASDAQ: TNON ) which was down 75.65% to 8.86 in late trade, Apptech Corp (NASDAQ: APCX ) which lost 34.79% to settle at 0.81 and Rockwell Medical Inc (NASDAQ: RMTI ) which was down 32.54% to 0.22 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1659 to 1599 and 95 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2166 rose and 1755 declined, while 182 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.43% to 31.77.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 1.70% or 31.56 to $1,822.14 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.96% or 1.01 to hit $106.72 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.46% or 0.49 to trade at $108.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 1.28% to 1.04, while USD/JPY fell 1.24% to 128.35.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.90% at 104.81.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.