Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Technology and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Utilities and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which rose 4.16% or 6.01 points to trade at 150.34 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 1.27% or 4.31 points to end at 343.66 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.28% or 3.06 points to 241.44 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 2.00% or 2.68 points to trade at 131.26 in late trade. Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) declined 1.49% or 0.81 points to end at 53.66 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 1.41% or 1.97 points to 137.93.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which rose 6.87% to 39.05, Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which was up 5.77% to settle at 170.54 and Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which gained 4.89% to close at 71.40.
The worst performers were TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was down 4.33% to 48.78 in late trade, Foot Locker Inc (NYSE: FL ) which lost 3.42% to settle at 57.04 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 2.85% to 36.53 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Reviva Pharmaceuticals Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: RVPH ) which rose 101.39% to 8.70, Microvision Inc (NASDAQ: MVIS ) which was up 47.13% to settle at 26.4400 and Proofpoint Inc (NASDAQ: PFPT ) which gained 31.04% to close at 172.68.
The worst performers were Dorman Products Inc (NASDAQ: DORM ) which was down 11.07% to 99.02 in late trade, Sypris Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SYPR ) which lost 9.84% to settle at 4.0300 and BBQ Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BBQ ) which was down 8.39% to 13.32 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1931 to 1127 and 110 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2226 rose and 966 declined, while 91 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.79% to 17.64.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.23% or 4.05 to $1781.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 0.27% or 0.17 to hit $61.97 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.43% or 0.28 to trade at $65.14 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.10% to 1.2087, while USD/JPY rose 0.18% to 108.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.05% at 90.795.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.