Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Technology , Healthcare and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Basic Materials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 3.04% or 4.52 points to trade at 153.12 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 1.29% or 3.87 points to end at 303.59 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 1.15% or 3.72 points to 327.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 2.60% or 4.39 points to trade at 164.26 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 1.84% or 4.09 points to end at 217.66 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 1.63% or 2.65 points to 159.44.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL ) which rose 3.64% to 288.47, Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) which was up 3.04% to settle at 153.12 and HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which gained 2.84% to close at 29.74.
The worst performers were Capital One Financial Corporation (NYSE: COF ) which was down 6.04% to 165.19 in late trade, Synchrony Financial (NYSE: SYF ) which lost 5.00% to settle at 49.35 and TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was down 4.70% to 34.46 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were RenovoRx Inc (NASDAQ: RNXT ) which rose 119.70% to 15.95, Affirm Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AFRM ) which was up 46.64% to settle at 99.57 and Katapult Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: KPLT ) which gained 40.61% to close at 5.09.
The worst performers were Astra Space Inc (NASDAQ: ASTR ) which was down 18.85% to 9.47 in late trade, ADTRAN Inc (NASDAQ: ADTN ) which lost 16.52% to settle at 20.51 and NeuroMetrix Inc (NASDAQ: NURO ) which was down 15.93% to 13.880 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1837 to 1359 and 136 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1957 fell and 1569 advanced, while 138 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.22% to 16.19.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.35% or 6.45 to $1813.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.49% or 0.34 to hit $69.08 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.59% or 0.42 to trade at $72.12 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.06% to 1.1800, while USD/JPY rose 0.09% to 109.93.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.00% at 92.692.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.