U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.15%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Healthcare , Consumer Goods and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Telecoms and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.15%, while the S&P 500 index lost 0.08%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 0.12%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 0.83% or 4.25 points to trade at 518.63 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 0.52% or 0.73 points to end at 141.76 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 0.47% or 0.69 points to 147.04 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 1.73% or 0.66 points to trade at 37.55 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.72% or 0.90 points to end at 51.38 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 1.61% or 1.57 points to 95.86.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which rose 4.65% to 216.45, Centene Corp (NYSE: CNC ) which was up 3.23% to settle at 88.01 and McKesson Corporation (NYSE: MCK ) which gained 3.10% to close at 331.20.
The worst performers were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 5.10% to 36.81 in late trade, Caesars Entertainment Corporation (NASDAQ: CZR ) which lost 4.67% to settle at 39.59 and Smith AO Corporation (NYSE: AOS ) which was down 4.43% to 56.97 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Aditx Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ADTX ) which rose 50.00% to 0.24, Waitr Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WTRH ) which was up 48.49% to settle at 0.35 and Oramed Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ORMP ) which gained 44.37% to close at 8.20.
The worst performers were Enjoy Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ENJY ) which was down 52.12% to 0.19 in late trade, Upstart Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UPST ) which lost 19.71% to settle at 27.09 and ContraFect Corp (NASDAQ: CFRX ) which was down 15.95% to 2.95 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1696 to 1420 and 165 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2077 rose and 1617 declined, while 281 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.52% to 24.64.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.01% or 0.25 to $1,739.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 2.06% or 2.12 to hit $104.85 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 2.40% or 2.51 to trade at $107.16 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.21% to 1.02, while USD/JPY rose 0.09% to 136.10.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.18% at 106.77.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or