Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Technology , Healthcare and Telecoms sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Financials , Oil & Gas and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 4.88% or 2.23 points to trade at 47.82 at the close. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 2.98% or 1.66 points to end at 57.38 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 2.65% or 1.11 points to 42.94 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Raytheon Technologies Corp (NYSE: RTX ), which lost 4.09% or 2.75 points to trade at 64.52 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 3.05% or 2.99 points to end at 95.07 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 2.65% or 3.97 points to 145.85.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NortonLifeLock Inc (NASDAQ: NLOK ) which rose 8.79% to 22.78, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: REGN ) which was up 5.98% to settle at 612.81 and Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which gained 5.39% to close at 14.47.
The worst performers were DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was down 14.24% to 14.21 in late trade, Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which lost 13.37% to settle at 3.63 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 10.98% to 16.13 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Adaptimmune Therapeutics Plc (NASDAQ: ADAP ) which rose 127.78% to 11.07, Sonoma Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SNOA ) which was up 79.30% to settle at 9.70 and Esports Entertainment Group Inc (NASDAQ: GMBL ) which gained 62.73% to close at 8.82.
The worst performers were Minerva Neurosciences Inc (NASDAQ: NERV ) which was down 72.46% to 3.71 in late trade, Akorn Inc (NASDAQ: AKRX ) which lost 51.01% to settle at 0.090 and ARCA Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: ABIO ) which was down 34.41% to 12.60 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1541 to 1334 and 56 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1393 fell and 1266 advanced, while 65 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.78% to 27.51 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 1.07% or 18.30 to $1731.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 4.84% or 1.63 to hit $35.34 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 4.72% or 1.70 to trade at $37.73 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.25% to 1.1104, while USD/JPY rose 0.18% to 107.83.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 98.275.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.