Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Telecoms and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which rose 2.40% or 4.76 points to trade at 203.25 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 1.34% or 0.66 points to end at 49.76 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 0.92% or 3.74 points to 412.11 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 1.76% or 7.15 points to trade at 399.19 in late trade. Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) declined 1.75% or 3.79 points to end at 212.21 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 1.62% or 0.77 points to 46.62.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which rose 10.10% to 35.44, Deere & Company (NYSE: DE ) which was up 5.32% to settle at 367.86 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which gained 5.26% to close at 157.80.
The worst performers were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 29.03% to 22.66 in late trade, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which lost 24.12% to settle at 17.84 and Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ: ADSK ) which was down 15.49% to 256.90 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Longeveron LLC (NASDAQ: LGVN ) which rose 145.64% to 42.300, Biofrontera Inc (NASDAQ: BFRI ) which was up 98.48% to settle at 5.22 and IM Cannabis Corp (NASDAQ: IMCC ) which gained 37.82% to close at 4.300.
The worst performers were Qualigen Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: QLGN ) which was down 31.64% to 1.750 in late trade, Aptevo Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: APVO ) which lost 29.83% to settle at 11.95 and Pasithea Therapeutics Corp (NASDAQ: KTTA ) which was down 28.75% to 3.99 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1766 to 1425 and 133 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2239 rose and 1410 declined, while 172 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.13% to 18.58.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.28% or 5.05 to $1788.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.28% or 0.22 to hit $78.28 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 0.19% or 0.16 to trade at $82.15 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.40% to 1.1201, while USD/JPY rose 0.26% to 115.42.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.37% at 96.847.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.