U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 3.12%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 3.12%, while the S&P 500 index declined 3.57%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 4.99%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which fell 0.79% or 1.33 points to trade at 166.26 at the close. Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) fell 0.80% or 0.52 points to end at 64.51 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was down 0.74% or 1.75 points to 234.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 7.11% or 13.18 points to trade at 172.30 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 5.89% or 7.43 points to end at 118.63 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 5.57% or 9.25 points to 156.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which rose 10.68% to 346.00, Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which was up 9.76% to settle at 236.50 and Organon & Co (NYSE: OGN ) which gained 5.06% to close at 34.87.
The worst performers were Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which was down 16.83% to 90.93 in late trade, Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp Class A (NASDAQ: CTSH ) which lost 12.75% to settle at 73.60 and eBay Inc (NASDAQ: EBAY ) which was down 11.72% to 48.04 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cyngn Inc (NASDAQ: CYN ) which rose 17.98% to 3.74, Better Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BTTX ) which was up 7.83% to settle at 2.34 and Hudson Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: HDSN ) which gained 26.89% to close at 9.06.
The worst performers were Bioatla Inc (NASDAQ: BCAB ) which was down 41.18% to 2.40 in late trade, Nephros Inc (NASDAQ: NEPH ) which lost 40.59% to settle at 2.53 and Singularity Future Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: SGLY ) which was down 28.89% to 4.80 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2853 to 354 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3174 fell and 607 advanced, while 221 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 22.74% to 31.20.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.56% or 10.51 to $1,879.31 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.58% or 0.63 to hit $108.44 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.81% or 0.89 to trade at $111.03 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.74% to 1.05, while USD/JPY rose 0.83% to 130.13.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.94% at 103.56.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or