The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which rose 0.13% or 0.08 points to trade at 60.61 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 0.06% or 0.06 points to end at 104.46 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was down 0.22% or 0.08 points to 37.09 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 8.01% or 10.52 points to trade at 120.88 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 6.19% or 14.35 points to end at 217.30 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 4.38% or 12.57 points to 274.63.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 7.94% to 7.61, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was up 5.21% to settle at 17.58 and Invesco Plc (NYSE: IVZ ) which gained 4.80% to close at 11.14.
The worst performers were Qorvo Inc (NASDAQ: QRVO ) which was down 9.82% to 121.44 in late trade, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which lost 9.28% to settle at 520.62 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 8.97% to 120.70 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Shiloh Industries Inc (NASDAQ: SHLO ) which rose 99.93% to 0.59, Ikonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IKNX ) which was up 24.14% to settle at 3.96 and Ocugen, Inc (NASDAQ: OCGN ) which gained 23.92% to close at 0.3829.
The worst performers were Akebia Ther (NASDAQ: AKBA ) which was down 73.50% to 2.65 in late trade, Supercom Lt (NASDAQ: SPCB ) which lost 21.52% to settle at 0.9261 and Addex Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ: ADXN ) which was down 20.75% to 11.65 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2458 to 602 and 83 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2316 fell and 540 advanced, while 61 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 26.46% to 33.60 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.36% or 7.00 to $1937.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.55% or 0.23 to hit $41.28 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $44.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1851, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 106.17.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 92.770.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.