The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 2.14% or 3.39 points to trade at 162.04 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) added 1.61% or 2.73 points to end at 172.21 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was up 0.62% or 1.45 points to 234.36 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 7.99% or 13.82 points to trade at 159.13 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 6.45% or 11.67 points to end at 169.17 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 5.14% or 6.74 points to 124.44.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Schlumberger NV (NYSE: SLB ) which rose 8.12% to 42.10, Halliburton Company (NYSE: HAL ) which was up 6.18% to settle at 36.24 and Nextera Energy Inc (NYSE: NEE ) which gained 4.95% to close at 84.18.
The worst performers were PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which was down 15.37% to 66.99 in late trade, United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which lost 15.01% to settle at 31.20 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 13.14% to 291.37 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Imperial Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: IMPP ) which rose 121.89% to 7.50, Oceanpal Inc (NASDAQ: OP ) which was up 101.60% to settle at 1.26 and Marine Petroleum Trust (NASDAQ: MARPS ) which gained 69.85% to close at 12.11.
The worst performers were Atreca Inc (NASDAQ: BCEL ) which was down 38.27% to 3.21 in late trade, Inspirato Inc (NASDAQ: ISPO ) which lost 37.26% to settle at 26.65 and IO Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: IOBT ) which was down 31.77% to 4.21 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2538 to 737 and 110 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2782 fell and 1060 advanced, while 253 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 13.98% to 36.45 a new 52-week high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.78% or 35.10 to $2,001.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 4.07% or 4.71 to hit $120.39 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.26% or 0.32 to trade at $124.48 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.02% to 1.09, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 115.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.59% at 99.26.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.