The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which rose 1.91% or 2.85 points to trade at 152.38 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.17% or 1.75 points to end at 151.31 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was up 1.13% or 2.67 points to 239.17 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 10.47% or 15.59 points to trade at 133.31 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 6.70% or 11.44 points to end at 159.25 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 4.84% or 9.82 points to 193.00.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Newell Brands Inc (NASDAQ: NWL ) which rose 7.92% to 24.26, Viatris Inc (NASDAQ: VTRS ) which was up 5.33% to settle at 10.48 and News Corp B (NASDAQ: NWS ) which gained 4.14% to close at 17.61.
The worst performers were APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which was down 14.92% to 37.53 in late trade, Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which lost 14.03% to settle at 24.20 and The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 12.79% to 55.86 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Hemisphere Media Group Inc (NASDAQ: HMTV ) which rose 78.78% to 6.74, Blue Water Vaccines Inc (NASDAQ: BWV ) which was up 44.15% to settle at 5.42 and Points International Ltd (NASDAQ: PCOM ) which gained 42.46% to close at 24.46.
The worst performers were Akanda Corp (NASDAQ: AKAN ) which was down 74.56% to 2.29 in late trade, Renovare Environmental Inc (NASDAQ: RENO ) which lost 40.76% to settle at 0.18 and TherapeuticsMD Inc (NASDAQ: TXMD ) which was down 36.86% to 4.84 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2892 to 397 and 77 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3343 fell and 624 advanced, while 182 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 15.10% to 34.75 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 1.65% or 31.13 to $1,851.67 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 6.65% or 7.30 to hit $102.47 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 6.38% or 7.17 to trade at $105.22 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.09% to 1.06, while USD/JPY fell 0.23% to 130.26.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.05% at 103.75.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.