The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 3.16% or 5.06 points to trade at 165.30 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 0.03% or 0.02 points to end at 74.91 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was down 0.33% or 0.65 points to 197.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 3.97% or 11.78 points to trade at 284.96 in late trade. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) declined 3.58% or 5.45 points to end at 146.95 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 3.52% or 5.56 points to 152.30.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) which rose 3.16% to 165.30, Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) which was up 2.54% to settle at 53.73 and Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which gained 1.35% to close at 11.26.
The worst performers were Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 7.13% to 16.53 in late trade, Quanta Services Inc (NYSE: PWR ) which lost 6.49% to settle at 113.78 and Intuit Inc (NASDAQ: INTU ) which was down 6.10% to 652.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cumberland Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CPIX ) which rose 128.64% to 5.030, TOMI Environmental Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: TOMZ ) which was up 49.14% to settle at 1.730 and MEI Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: MEIP ) which gained 37.55% to close at 3.370.
The worst performers were Aeroclean Technologies LLC (NASDAQ: AERC ) which was down 78.70% to 25.00 in late trade, Olema Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: OLMA ) which lost 60.02% to settle at 8.75 and TG Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TGTX ) which was down 34.93% to 15.20 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2650 to 652 and 105 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2643 fell and 1133 advanced, while 166 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 18.42% to 27.19.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.50% or 9.00 to $1776.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 4.30% or 3.01 to hit $66.94 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.04 to trade at $70.19 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1341, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 113.14.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.45% at 95.900.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.