The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 3.9722% or 5.71999979 points to trade at 149.72000122 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.3995% or 4.42000008 points to end at 320.25000000 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.6141% or 0.82999998 points to 135.99000549 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 8.4713% or 16.47999954 points to trade at 178.05999756 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 5.0794% or 10.43000031 points to end at 194.91000366 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 3.7729% or 5.34999990 points to 136.44999695.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT ) which rose 9.8413% to 219.42999268, CH Robinson Worldwide Inc (NASDAQ: CHRW ) which was up 8.4195% to settle at 104.81999969 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which gained 6.9975% to close at 46.79000092.
The worst performers were DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was down 11.5780% to 30.09000015 in late trade, Aptiv PLC (NYSE: APTV ) which lost 8.7994% to settle at 118.05000305 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was down 8.7339% to 73.66999817 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Avenue Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ATXI ) which rose 78.4643% to 0.60659999, CTi Biopharma Corp (NASDAQ: CTIC ) which was up 63.1579% to settle at 3.09999990 and Gbs (NASDAQ: GBS ) which gained 50.0000% to close at 0.69000000.
The worst performers were Vroom (NASDAQ: VRM ) which was down 46.5461% to 3.25000000 in late trade, Mullen Automotive Inc (NASDAQ: MULN ) which lost 39.3491% to settle at 1.02499998 and Goodrx Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: GDRX ) which was down 38.9416% to 16.72999954 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2001 to 1268 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2521 fell and 1361 advanced, while 201 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 10.5100% to 33.31999969 a new 52-week high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 2.4800% or 47.04999924 to $1947.75000000 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 11.2000% or 10.72000027 to hit $106.44000244 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.1000% or 0.11000000 to trade at $107.11000061 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.0090% to 1.11269999, while USD/JPY fell 0.0087% to 114.87999725.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.7200% at 97.38800049.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.