U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.63%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Financials , Oil & Gas and Utilities sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1.63%, while the S&P 500 index declined 1.65%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 1.60%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which fell 0.06% or 0.09 points to trade at 143.99 at the close. Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) fell 0.45% or 0.27 points to end at 60.05 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was down 0.54% or 1.49 points to 272.29 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 4.86% or 6.11 points to trade at 119.50 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 4.17% or 8.54 points to end at 196.16 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 3.10% or 1.04 points to 32.50.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Match Group Inc (NASDAQ: MTCH ) which rose 2.27% to 39.22, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was up 1.72% to settle at 97.58 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which gained 1.03% to close at 264.68.
The worst performers were First Republic Bank (NYSE: FRC ) which was down 15.85% to 13.27 in late trade, Comerica Inc (NYSE: CMA ) which lost 8.45% to settle at 44.52 and Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC ) which was down 7.90% to 20.75 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Maxpro Capital Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: JMAC ) which rose 56.84% to 13.88, Lixiang Education Holding Co Ltd (NASDAQ: LXEH ) which was up 35.14% to settle at 1.00 and EZGO Technologies Ltd (NASDAQ: EZGO ) which gained 33.65% to close at 1.41.
The worst performers were Qutoutiao Inc (NASDAQ: QTT ) which was down 38.43% to 0.18 in late trade, Color Star Technology Co Ltd (NASDAQ: ADD ) which lost 36.48% to settle at 1.55 and Meihua International Medical Technologies Co Ltd (NASDAQ: MHUA ) which was down 33.60% to 8.20 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2270 to 732 and 111 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2699 fell and 935 advanced, while 145 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.12% to 22.26.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.66% or 32.20 to $1,973.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.36% or 0.25 to hit $69.92 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.04% or 0.03 to trade at $75.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.04% to 1.09, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 131.41.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.69% at 102.18.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or