The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 0.28% or 0.75 points to trade at 271.25 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 0.03% or 0.02 points to end at 75.11 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was down 0.18% or 0.25 points to 138.93 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 3.37% or 1.64 points to trade at 47.07 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.98% or 5.90 points to end at 191.97 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 3.02% or 5.46 points to 175.42.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Perrigo Company PLC (NYSE: PRGO ) which rose 8.76% to 47.31, Paychex Inc (NASDAQ: PAYX ) which was up 4.29% to settle at 112.48 and Electronic Arts Inc (NASDAQ: EA ) which gained 3.25% to close at 142.43.
The worst performers were CarMax Inc (NYSE: KMX ) which was down 12.63% to 127.96 in late trade, Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which lost 12.24% to settle at 47.09 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 8.98% to 26.45 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Progenity Inc (NASDAQ: PROG ) which rose 39.81% to 1.510, Farmmi Inc (NASDAQ: FAMI ) which was up 34.68% to settle at 0.4579 and Alzamend Neuro Inc (NASDAQ: ALZN ) which gained 34.21% to close at 3.06.
The worst performers were Elite Education Group International Ltd (NASDAQ: EEIQ ) which was down 37.02% to 4.100 in late trade, TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which lost 30.43% to settle at 1.280 and Kaival Brands Innovations Group Inc (NASDAQ: KAVL ) which was down 28.27% to 1.370 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2078 to 1165 and 100 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1887 fell and 1705 advanced, while 150 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.57% to 23.14.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 2.03% or 34.90 to $1757.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.27% or 0.20 to hit $75.03 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 0.32% or 0.25 to trade at $78.34 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.13% to 1.1580, while USD/JPY fell 0.62% to 111.26.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 94.260.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.