U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.56%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1.56%, while the S&P 500 index lost 2.01%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 2.98%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 1.61% or 2.37 points to trade at 149.94 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 0.59% or 0.31 points to end at 52.53 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.55% or 2.78 points to 508.44 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 6.99% or 7.72 points to trade at 102.78 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 5.43% or 9.85 points to end at 171.46 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 4.44% or 12.54 points to 270.15.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Hess Corporation (NYSE: HES ) which rose 5.57% to 112.92, Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was up 4.77% to settle at 61.71 and Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which gained 4.37% to close at 24.13.
The worst performers were Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which was down 8.20% to 74.04 in late trade, Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which lost 7.53% to settle at 190.65 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) which was down 6.99% to 102.78 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which rose 89.76% to 2.41, Endo International PLC (NASDAQ: ENDP ) which was up 85.33% to settle at 0.71 and HTG Molecular Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: HTGM ) which gained 52.17% to close at 0.84.
The worst performers were Cognyte Software Ltd (NASDAQ: CGNT ) which was down 28.66% to 4.58 in late trade, Phoenix Motor Inc (NASDAQ: PEV ) which lost 25.26% to settle at 5.00 and Wavedancer Inc (NASDAQ: WAVD ) which was down 24.86% to 1.30 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2193 to 983 and 122 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2785 fell and 1024 advanced, while 206 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.23% to 28.36.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.19% or 3.45 to $1,821.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 1.99% or 2.18 to hit $111.75 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 2.52% or 2.80 to trade at $113.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.59% to 1.05, while USD/JPY rose 0.58% to 136.21.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.57% at 104.27.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or