The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 0.78% or 0.42 points to trade at 54.58 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) fell 0.14% or 0.24 points to end at 167.11 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was down 0.25% or 0.52 points to 205.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 2.55% or 3.04 points to trade at 115.98 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 2.55% or 3.78 points to end at 144.32 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 2.48% or 5.44 points to 214.22.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which rose 7.85% to 40.92, United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which was up 3.92% to settle at 35.50 and Tapestry Inc (NYSE: TPR ) which gained 2.71% to close at 20.06.
The worst performers were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 5.88% to 12.17 in late trade, Gartner Inc (NYSE: IT ) which lost 4.41% to settle at 124.34 and Ross Stores Inc (NASDAQ: ROST ) which was down 4.37% to 90.96 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Kaixin Auto Holdings (NASDAQ: KXIN ) which rose 293.72% to 8.150, Code Chain New Continent Ltd (NASDAQ: CCNC ) which was up 108.18% to settle at 2.290 and Marine Petroleum Trust (NASDAQ: MARPS ) which gained 95.56% to close at 4.400.
The worst performers were Abraxas Petroleum Corporation (NASDAQ: AXAS ) which was down 24.33% to 2.1900 in late trade, Westwater Resources Inc (NASDAQ: WWR ) which lost 19.79% to settle at 4.620 and CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: CHFS ) which was down 17.26% to 6.980 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2241 to 812 and 98 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1962 fell and 900 advanced, while 79 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.46% to 29.18.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.01% or 0.25 to $1906.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.44% or 0.18 to hit $40.94 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 1.05% or 0.45 to trade at $42.48 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1767, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 105.42.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.29% at 93.405.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.