The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 1.22% or 2.23 points to trade at 185.10 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) fell 0.03% or 0.03 points to end at 110.01 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) was down 0.06% or 0.10 points to 178.78 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 7.35% or 10.63 points to trade at 133.93 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 3.52% or 3.50 points to end at 95.93 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 2.91% or 1.11 points to 37.07.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which rose 2.60% to 45.03, CME Group Inc (NASDAQ: CME ) which was up 2.12% to settle at 180.38 and Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which gained 2.02% to close at 15.15.
The worst performers were VF Corporation (NYSE: VFC ) which was down 11.17% to 29.51 in late trade, Ceridian HCM Holding Inc (NYSE: CDAY ) which lost 7.44% to settle at 64.53 and Signature Bank (NASDAQ: SBNY ) which was down 7.44% to 125.88 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were MMTEC Inc (NASDAQ: MTC ) which rose 50.00% to 1.50, Nymox Pharmaceutical Corp (NASDAQ: NYMX ) which was up 44.81% to settle at 0.41 and Digital Brands Group Inc (NASDAQ: DBGI ) which gained 37.33% to close at 5.15.
The worst performers were Dermata Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: DRMA ) which was down 59.88% to 0.26 in late trade, Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which lost 50.45% to settle at 2.20 and Soluna Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SLNH ) which was down 27.02% to 0.57 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2628 to 492 and 98 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2778 fell and 986 advanced, while 187 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.87% to 20.75.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 1.58% or 28.65 to $1,780.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 3.21% or 2.57 to hit $77.41 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 2.86% or 2.45 to trade at $83.12 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.46% to 1.05, while USD/JPY rose 1.87% to 136.82.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.73% at 105.26.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.