The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 0.81% or 1.74 points to trade at 215.63 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 0.54% or 0.73 points to end at 137.13 and Honeywell International Inc (NYSE: HON ) was unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 points to 230.94 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 3.10% or 10.57 points to trade at 330.55 in late trade. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) declined 3.05% or 4.93 points to end at 156.74 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 2.67% or 4.23 points to 154.45.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NortonLifeLock Inc (NASDAQ: NLOK ) which rose 10.77% to 23.35, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which was up 4.77% to settle at 44.78 and Arconic Corp (NYSE: ARNC ) which gained 2.94% to close at 36.44.
The worst performers were Hanesbrands Inc (NYSE: HBI ) which was down 12.01% to 19.27 in late trade, Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which lost 7.92% to settle at 24.52 and Pioneer Natural Resources Co (NYSE: PXD ) which was down 5.89% to 157.71 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Bridgford Foods Corporation (NASDAQ: BRID ) which rose 50.95% to 21.42, Sequential Brands Group Inc (NASDAQ: SQBG ) which was up 36.19% to settle at 13.1700 and Saga Communications Inc (NASDAQ: SGA ) which gained 34.04% to close at 28.31.
The worst performers were Larimar Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LRMR ) which was down 35.67% to 8.440 in late trade, Alset Ehome International Inc (NASDAQ: AEI ) which lost 34.38% to settle at 4.16 and Rackspace Technology Inc (NASDAQ: RXT ) which was down 20.82% to 19.02 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2356 to 880 and 93 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1947 fell and 1428 advanced, while 106 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 11.09% to 21.84 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.04% or 0.75 to $1838.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.75% or 0.49 to hit $65.41 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.51% or 0.35 to trade at $68.67 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.15% to 1.2147, while USD/JPY fell 0.11% to 108.66.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 90.168.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.