The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which rose 1.38% or 2.15 points to trade at 158.08 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 1.26% or 1.82 points to end at 146.40 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was up 0.97% or 1.92 points to 200.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 11.74% or 33.46 points to trade at 251.50 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 4.88% or 9.66 points to end at 188.19 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 3.95% or 2.17 points to 52.76.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRTX ) which rose 9.66% to 205.00, Xerox Corp (NASDAQ: XRX ) which was up 4.07% to settle at 19.17 and Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which gained 3.35% to close at 108.57.
The worst performers were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) which was down 11.74% to 251.50 in late trade, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which lost 8.82% to settle at 17.79 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 8.08% to 305.26 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Tantech Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: TANH ) which rose 51.53% to 1.5000, Ucommune International Ltd (NASDAQ: UK ) which was up 48.24% to settle at 0.980 and Arbutus Biopharma Corp (NASDAQ: ABUS ) which gained 44.06% to close at 4.610.
The worst performers were BeyondSpring Inc (NASDAQ: BYSI ) which was down 61.39% to 4.93 in late trade, Aeroclean Technologies LLC (NASDAQ: AERC ) which lost 33.56% to settle at 16.61 and Pioneer Pow (NASDAQ: PPSI ) which was down 30.07% to 7.070 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2395 to 880 and 123 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2879 fell and 878 advanced, while 160 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 14.45% to 31.12 a new 6-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.37% or 6.60 to $1783.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.70% or 0.46 to hit $65.72 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.17% or 0.12 to trade at $68.88 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.00% to 1.1319, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 112.78.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 96.043.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.