U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.19%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Financials , Industrials and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 1.19%, while the S&P 500 index fell 1.10%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 0.74%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 1.17% or 3.23 points to trade at 279.43 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 0.81% or 1.12 points to end at 139.40 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 0.57% or 0.21 points to 36.79 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 4.17% or 7.18 points to trade at 165.03 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 3.78% or 4.94 points to end at 125.81 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 3.67% or 11.55 points to 303.54.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX ) which rose 7.97% to 220.31, Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which was up 5.22% to settle at 48.17 and Teleflex Incorporated (NYSE: TFX ) which gained 1.56% to close at 235.84.
The worst performers were First Republic Bank (NYSE: FRC ) which was down 32.80% to 23.03 in late trade, U.S. Bancorp (NYSE: USB ) which lost 9.38% to settle at 32.95 and Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which was down 8.68% to 183.64 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Wejo Group Ltd (NASDAQ: WEJO ) which rose 76.30% to 0.75, Science 37 Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SNCE ) which was up 58.10% to settle at 0.36 and Histogen Inc (NASDAQ: HSTO ) which gained 54.24% to close at 1.33.
The worst performers were Lifecore Biomedical Inc (NASDAQ: LFCR ) which was down 67.32% to 1.67 in late trade, Acer Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ACER ) which lost 56.77% to settle at 0.67 and Loyalty Ventures Inc (NASDAQ: LYLT ) which was down 40.80% to 0.09 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2477 to 556 and 92 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2710 fell and 885 advanced, while 163 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 10.96% to 25.51.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 3.68% or 70.70 to $1,993.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 2.94% or 2.01 to hit $66.34 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 2.66% or 1.99 to trade at $72.71 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.59% to 1.07, while USD/JPY fell 1.43% to 131.80.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.55% at 103.52.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or