The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 0.88% or 0.91 points to trade at 104.50 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 0.28% or 0.94 points to end at 333.81 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 0.06% or 0.09 points to 142.68 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.62% or 1.57 points to trade at 58.33 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 2.50% or 6.43 points to end at 250.93 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 2.20% or 4.23 points to 188.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which rose 9.16% to 81.26, EOG Resources Inc (NYSE: EOG ) which was up 6.63% to settle at 71.43 and Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which gained 6.28% to close at 12.36.
The worst performers were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which was down 8.87% to 63.49 in late trade, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which lost 6.57% to settle at 32.70 and Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 6.31% to 29.57 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Five Prime Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FPRX ) which rose 78.74% to 38.00, Super League Gaming Inc (NASDAQ: SLGG ) which was up 69.29% to settle at 8.82 and Allied Esports Entertainment Inc (NASDAQ: AESE ) which gained 30.80% to close at 3.27.
The worst performers were The Dixie Group Inc (NASDAQ: DXYN ) which was down 40.66% to 3.240 in late trade, Biovie Inc (NASDAQ: BIVI ) which lost 38.73% to settle at 14.35 and Appharvest Inc (NASDAQ: APPH ) which was down 34.35% to 18.75 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2522 to 716 and 62 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2846 fell and 515 advanced, while 37 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.12% to 28.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.22% or 20.95 to $1694.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 4.49% or 2.75 to hit $64.03 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 4.53% or 2.90 to trade at $66.97 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.07% to 1.1974, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 107.97.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.75% at 91.627.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.