The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.92% or 1.97 points to trade at 69.51 at the close. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) added 1.11% or 1.53 points to end at 139.85 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 1.10% or 0.60 points to 55.01 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 4.83% or 9.00 points to trade at 177.23 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 4.61% or 7.95 points to end at 164.58 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 2.34% or 2.91 points to 121.66.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which rose 9.31% to 50.85, AT&T Inc (NYSE: T ) which was up 4.01% to settle at 20.21 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which gained 3.80% to close at 20.22.
The worst performers were Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which was down 12.31% to 156.56 in late trade, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which lost 9.92% to settle at 44.95 and SolarEdge Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SEDG ) which was down 9.75% to 254.15 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cyngn Inc (NASDAQ: CYN ) which rose 96.30% to 2.12, Swvl Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: SWVL ) which was up 47.89% to settle at 6.30 and Revelation Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: REVB ) which gained 23.08% to close at 1.28.
The worst performers were Voyager Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VYGR ) which was down 28.15% to 7.25 in late trade, GWG Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: GWGH ) which lost 27.80% to settle at 2.00 and Elys Game Technology Corp (NASDAQ: ELYS ) which was down 23.04% to 1.57 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2603 to 612 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2991 fell and 897 advanced, while 194 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 11.61% to 22.68.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.13% or 2.60 to $1,953.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 1.83% or 1.87 to hit $104.06 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 1.69% or 1.80 to trade at $108.60 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.07% to 1.08, while USD/JPY rose 0.32% to 128.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.16% at 100.58.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.