The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 3.19% or 5.11 points to trade at 165.18 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 0.54% or 0.87 points to end at 162.00 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 0.22% or 0.78 points to 348.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 3.39% or 2.03 points to trade at 57.81 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 2.95% or 1.58 points to end at 52.04 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 2.81% or 10.11 points to 349.58.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) which rose 4.28% to 99.83, The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) which was up 3.19% to settle at 165.18 and Booking Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BKNG ) which gained 2.38% to close at 2433.6.
The worst performers were Garmin Ltd (NYSE: GRMN ) which was down 6.05% to 123.29 in late trade, Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which lost 5.48% to settle at 85.07 and M&T Bank Corp (NYSE: MTB ) which was down 5.44% to 166.35 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Aptorum Group Ltd Class A (NASDAQ: APM ) which rose 38.52% to 1.690, Hillstream Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: HILS ) which was up 21.79% to settle at 3.13 and Adagio Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ADGI ) which gained 16.04% to close at 6.44.
The worst performers were China Finance Online Co Limited (NASDAQ: JRJC ) which was down 38.04% to 3.990 in late trade, Peloton Interactive Inc (NASDAQ: PTON ) which lost 23.93% to settle at 24.22 and Valneva SE ADR (NASDAQ: VALN ) which was down 20.75% to 37.66 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2447 to 800 and 162 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2750 fell and 1120 advanced, while 194 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.30% to 25.59 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.19% or 3.50 to $1839.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.48% or 1.27 to hit $84.53 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.03 to trade at $87.37 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1311, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 114.14.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.29% at 95.775.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.