The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 1.19% or 2.70 points to trade at 229.80 at the close. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) added 1.09% or 2.04 points to end at 189.19 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 0.60% or 0.73 points to 122.40 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 5.28% or 2.30 points to trade at 41.23 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 2.12% or 6.83 points to end at 314.68 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 1.62% or 2.73 points to 165.96.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Las Vegas Sands Corp (NYSE: LVS ) which rose 4.35% to 37.39, Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was up 4.18% to settle at 70.28 and Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which gained 4.17% to close at 84.88.
The worst performers were Altria Group (NYSE: MO ) which was down 8.37% to 49.49 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 6.17% to settle at 12.93 and Expeditors International of Washington Inc (NASDAQ: EXPD ) which was down 5.68% to 103.10 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were HeartCore Enterprises Inc (NASDAQ: HTCR ) which rose 114.71% to 2.19, Qutoutiao Inc (NASDAQ: QTT ) which was up 71.58% to settle at 1.63 and VivoPower International PLC (NASDAQ: VVPR ) which gained 40.00% to close at 2.24.
The worst performers were Integrated Media Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: IMTE ) which was down 67.50% to 3.65 in late trade, Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RIGL ) which lost 60.20% to settle at 0.70 and Loyalty Ventures Inc (NASDAQ: LYLT ) which was down 45.42% to 6.02 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2285 to 864 and 125 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2026 fell and 1767 advanced, while 225 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.25% to 23.96 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.13% or 2.50 to $1,854.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.70% or 3.23 to hit $122.64 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 2.89% or 3.49 to trade at $124.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.15% to 1.07, while USD/JPY rose 1.26% to 134.26.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.23% at 102.56.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.