The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 0.82% or 0.44 points to trade at 53.84 at the close. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.24% or 0.57 points to end at 239.18 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 0.22% or 0.13 points to 60.41 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 3.31% or 5.10 points to trade at 148.97 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 2.22% or 9.19 points to end at 403.91 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 2.21% or 1.12 points to 49.45.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which rose 4.11% to 6.580, Nov Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which was up 2.91% to settle at 13.09 and United Parcel Service Inc (NYSE: UPS ) which gained 2.25% to close at 193.26.
The worst performers were Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which was down 7.50% to 42.67 in late trade, American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which lost 6.19% to settle at 18.95 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which was down 4.81% to 44.34 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were IVERIC bio Inc (NASDAQ: ISEE ) which rose 62.49% to 14.120, Echo Global Logistics Inc (NASDAQ: ECHO ) which was up 52.30% to settle at 47.70 and Affirm Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AFRM ) which gained 34.36% to close at 123.69.
The worst performers were Kaival Brands Innovations Group Inc (NASDAQ: KAVL ) which was down 43.27% to 5.480 in late trade, Mersana Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: MRSN ) which lost 39.22% to settle at 8.54 and Apellis Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: APLS ) which was down 37.11% to 34.98 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2071 to 1125 and 125 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2296 fell and 1195 advanced, while 158 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 11.44% to 20.95.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.61% or 11.00 to $1789.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 2.13% or 1.45 to hit $69.59 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.85% or 1.32 to trade at $72.77 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.11% to 1.1812, while USD/JPY rose 0.17% to 109.89.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.16% at 92.632.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.